On April 17, 1826, Chapter 269 of the laws of the State of New York of 1826 the following was presented and passed. An act to erect the Town of Gerrysville, from parts of Pembroke, in the county of Genesee, and Shelby, in the county of Orleans, and to annex the same to the county of Genesee.
The origin of the name Gerrysville is somewhat of a mystery and has been a research topic of many town historians. One school of thought is that the town was to be named Garysville, in honor of David Gary, but was somehow mistakenly written Gerrysville in the legislative act. Others simply believe that it was named after Elbridge Gerry, 5th Vice President of the United States, whether intentional by the residents of the soon-to-be town or by the legislators in Albany.
The State Legislature again on April 21, 1828 dealt with an issue concerning our town. An act to alter the name of the town of Gerrysville, in the county of Genesee. The people of the State of New York, represented in Senate and Assembly, do enact as follows: From and after the passing of this act, the town of Gerrysville, in the county of Genesee, shall be called and known by the name of Alabama.